Lose 10 pounds

Lose 10 pounds

May's challenge: Lose 10 Pounds

This month's challenge is to lose 10 pounds.



The Plan



To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat. Simple math. So why are diets so complicated?



I decided to take everything I had ever read or tried and combine them in a simple formula: KIF.



Kinetic Focus: Exercise everyday.



Inner Focus: Ask yourself, "Will I feel guilty if I eat this?"



Food Focus: Be a vegetarian.

If you are following along with my little experiment, here is the official "warning": Before you begin any exercie or diet program, consult your doctor.

Okay, so there you go.




Three simple ways to stear myself to eat less and move more.

























Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 13

Early morning yoga is a challenge. I didn't know if I would be able to do any of the poses with sleep still on my mind and in my muscles.


I jumped out of bed at the sound of the alarm set for an hour earlier than usual. I wasn't sure whether or not to eat breakfast. I envisioned myself in down dog split and decided against it. However, I was sure that I needed a cup of coffee which I drank with a twinge of guilt. I had given up coffee in the past and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Maybe next month will be the "no caffeine" challenge, but down dog split before dawn required a bit more than herbal tea. That is my excuse and I'm standing by it.

It turns out that the early morning session is not crowded. There is plenty of room to spread out and choose where to place your mat, free from the worry of knocking your neighbor with your foot.

At first I chose the center of the room. But that seemed a bit pretentious so I moved a little to the right. Then I noticed a black mat nearly in front of me. Someone had staked their claim. I moved a bit back and to the right. But that landed me too close to the dreaded humidifier! So off to the middle of the room I went. "That's it," I thought, "I'm not moving another inch." And I didn't even though someone came and set up within an arms distance. I didn't care.

The instructor this morning is gentle and kind- the stereotypical yogi. I think of her as the "yoga whisperer". But she pulled out a few new poses that I had never done including what felt like "dog chasing cat by sitting tree."

"Can you feel the stretch in your outer thigh?" she asks.

I think, "What does she mean by feel?" If she means that you can identify where your muscle plugs into the bone, then yes, I can feel the stretch.

Overall early morning yoga is wonderful. I make my way for the rest of the day with a spring in my step. I feel happy and I'm not sure why. I chalk it up to the yoga whisperer- and coffee.

 
Challenge Counter:

Number of Hot Yoga Classes: 7

No comments: