Lose 10 pounds

Lose 10 pounds

May's challenge: Lose 10 Pounds

This month's challenge is to lose 10 pounds.



The Plan



To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat. Simple math. So why are diets so complicated?



I decided to take everything I had ever read or tried and combine them in a simple formula: KIF.



Kinetic Focus: Exercise everyday.



Inner Focus: Ask yourself, "Will I feel guilty if I eat this?"



Food Focus: Be a vegetarian.

If you are following along with my little experiment, here is the official "warning": Before you begin any exercie or diet program, consult your doctor.

Okay, so there you go.




Three simple ways to stear myself to eat less and move more.

























Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 14

My body is beginning to feel the fatigue as I am almost halfway through with my Hot Yoga experiment.


I suppose it is only natural for the yoga instructor to get bored and begin to make up new poses. Today she decided to try it out on us. Former teachers have stressed that you "practice" yoga so that whatever level you are at or whatever your body is feeling each pose is for you to decide. But I felt a great deal of pressure to try out this new pose. If you want to give it a try I will walk you through it:

From table top come to down dog;
Arms to forearms;
Walk feet forward;
Straighten left arm only;
Bend left leg;
Lift left leg up;
Keep right arm on forearm;
Bend right leg;
Straighten right leg;
Hold and then straighten right leg.

I made it to step number three and paused. I looked up. No one in the room, even the advanced yogis, were making it into the pose. I looked down and kept my feet on the floor thinking, "If all these advanced yogis can't do it, I don't have a chance." I began to hear the sound of pounding feet and grunts as people attempted and failed to come into the pose. Then I heard something I had never heard before: the sound of falling. Crash.

I couldn't help but look up. A man was on his back and the yoga instructor was over him asking if he was okay. "You rolled out of that nicely," she said.

I leaned back into child's pose and then guilt got me through step three again. I even straightened my left arm when- BAM!

I looked up and saw the same man was on his back. This time the yoga instructor was calming everyone down by announcing that the sound was "just his water bottle" which she popped open and offered to him. He was in pain but did not appear to be permanently damaged.

Again the yoga instructor walked us through the pose. Then I heard something else I hadn't heard before: applause. I looked up expecting to see the man steadying himself in the pose. Instead an average yogi had made it in the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" pose.

It gave me hope that one day I too can be the Leaning Tower of Pisa- or at least lift my leg off the floor.

Three cheers for the average yogi!

Challenge Counter:
Number of Hot Yoga Classes: 8

No comments: